Sunday 27 February 2005

Navigation Exam


Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 18:45

I woke up this morning, and it was snowing in the Pennines where I live. I went to LBA anyway to sit my Nav exam. I haven't been in the sky since 23rd Jan - 5 weeks and was still waiting for the good weather for solo. It was snowing at LBA when I arrived just after 0900hrs, but the good news was that Sandtoft was open for circuits.

I decided to sit the Navigation exam in order to pass the time to see if the weather would improve. My instructor kindly went out to prepare the aircraft and to fuel up. The flying school was freezing and my hands numb before sitting down with a 1:500,000 chart, plotter and pens.

I'd bought the plotter only the day before from Flightstore and practiced on Saturday afternoon. I'd also been furiously practicing with the wind side of my flying computer and finally it clicked into place. I was getting every mock question correct.

During my visit to Flightstore I also bought a copy of "The Killing Zone" , it made for sobering reading on the night before I was hoping to do my first solo! I would definitely recommend this book to any pilot at any level.

I passed Navigation exam with 100%, and I haven't even had the ground school & practice yet. It just goes to shows what I've been doing while I've been grounded over the past few weeks. That is ALL my ground exams now complete. Only the R/T practical to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment