Sunday 4 July 2004

Rain Stops Play

Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 2:00


Today was a complete wash out. Torrential downpours across the North of England, with the occasional break in the weather. I was had a flying lesson booked with Multiflight and so called early to confirm the lesson. As the weather was changing rapidly I was asked to call back at 3pm, some 45 minutes before the lesson was due to start.


At 3pm I called and spoke to the flying instructor. Unfortunately the weather was still too changeable and so the flying lesson was cancelled. Typically, from that point on the weather cleared into a blue sky afternoon! So I spent the rest of the day watching the French Grand Prix, Wimbledon Men's Final and the final of the Euro 2004 championship.


My strategy now is to start to book double lessons so that if I do get the chance to get airborne I will be able to maximise the available flying time.
It is now just over two months since my first flying lesson, and in that time I've only had two hours in the air. Some people say that flying is an expensive hobby, at this rate it will be an extremely cheap pastime as it is increasingly difficult to be able to spend the money.


A holiday in Spain, Florida, California or Arizona is looking increasingly like an option to consider seriously. At least then I would be able to get some regular flying under my belt.


I've also added another book to the collection: The Mechanics of Flight by A. C. Kermode. An excellent read that covers the physical aspects of flight in an easy to read yet comprehensive manner.


Although some of the information is quite hard to get to grips with the book provides an excellent introduction to aerodynamics and will stand me in good stead for the upcoming examinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment