Sunday 26 June 2005

CAVOK Cross Country


Flying Hours Today 1:50, Total 31:35

P1 Flying Hours Today 1:50, Total 3:05

What a fantastic day for flying. The weather is CAVOK skies and zero wind which will make for great flying along my planned route which today will see me leaving Leeds Bradford (EGNM) and flying directly to the Humber Bridge. From there I'll head up to the disused airfield that was RAF Carnaby and then on to Scarborough before returning to Leeds.

This was my first completely solo expedition, once I was airside at Leeds I was on my own. And today the PA28 needed oil and fuel so I had to make to call to the handling agents.

I thought things couldn't get much better as the air was perfect, then as I was getting the PA28 refuelled - a Spitfire and a Hurricane from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight made a low flypast along R32. It was one of those moments in life where I really regret not having a camera with me.

Time to take off, and I was soon en-route. Switching quickly from Leeds to Church Fenton (EGXG). It was busy in the air today - everyone else must have seen the glorious weather and decided to do some flying.

I flew without incident towards the Humber Bridge in near perfect conditions, as I crossed the M62 I switched to Humberside Radar and passed my message of who I was, where I was and my intentions to fly to the bridge then up to Scarborough.
As there was no discernable wind I flew the heading as the track and was soon over the bridge - a spectacular site.

Routing 020 towards Carnaby there was a lot of traffic about - some of it not in radio contact so I had to keep my eyes open and maintain a close watch out of the window. I soon spotted another aircraft passing below me on almost a similar track (probably 040) and headed directly out over the sea - for a low level run to Holland?

The disused RAF base at Carnaby was quite easy to spot. It was used in WWII as an emergency landing field for returning bombers who could just about make land, but no further. Overhead Carnaby I turned to head north and on to Scarborough.

Flying over Scarborough the sea and beaches looking fantastic in the sunshine. I turned back to Leeds at the north end of the town. I could see the radar at the RAF Fylingdales early warning radar station and didn't want to encroach there - having heard Humberside asking a pilot if he knew he was in a danger zone earlier.
As I approached York from the east I was given clearance to enter the zone at Leeds. So by the time I arrived over Eccup I was well prepared for my approach and landing.

I was instructed to join right base for R32 and report final. At this time I could very clearly hear someone attempting to contact Leeds - but with no reply. Before long the pilot of theWest Yorkshire Police Helicopter picked up the message and relayed it to Leeds who in turn asked for the police to request a 'pass your message' from the calling aircraft.

It turned out the calling aircraft was on the west side of the Pennines, miles from where I was yet it was out of direct sight from Leeds. The messages were relayed between the aircraft, the police and Leeds and eventually the other pilot was able to make direct contact with Leeds

The remainder of the route home to Leeds was routine until I came across gliders from theYork Gliding Center in the skies over Rufforth. Those things can really move and climb. After getting visual with one I decided to give it a wide berth as I saw just how agile they are.

After almost 1hr 50m at the controls I must have been feeling tired. My approach was very poor, I was going to request a go around but as R32 at Leeds is so long I decided to continue with the approach and touched down way down the runway. I was so far down the runway that I had to exit on Foxtrot. Shame on me - those who know Leeds (EGNM) will agree. But another great solo nav in the book, and flying on days like this is so amazing - you just want to share the experience with everyone.

During the debrief one of the new instructors at the flying school asked me about my pre-landing check routing. I mentioned first of all the brakes and to confirm that the parking brake was indeed off. He also mentioned the importance of pumping the foot brakes - in case there is no pressure there you will know about this before you land. He had had to land previously with failed brakes and it is better to know about this ahead of time before you touch down - yet another useful tip that I'll commit to memory for my next flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment