Sunday 10 July 2005

Leeds Circuits

Flying Hours Today 1:00, Total 32:35

P1 Flying Hours Today 0:30, Total 3:35

Although I have been making good progress in my flight training I still feel that the most important, and mandatory, aspect of flying is still not quite as good as it should be... the landing.

So today we took an hour out to do some circuits at Leeds to get me back into practice for landings.

These were circuits with my third instructor. Some people have difficulty changing instructors but I have no problems and take it as an opportunity to pick up new skills and ideas that other instructors might not have.

As expected I learned some new skills and new approaches to handling the aircraft. I found the method used today to be more appropriate to my way of thinking. It was more logical and everything fitted together better.

Take off was as usual - remembering 'Lights, Camera, Action' as yet another phrase to commit to memory. Lights on for take off and landing, camera is the squawk - so others can see you, and action is when things begin so recall a clapperboard and make a note of the time.

Climing in the normal circuit pattern to 1000ft, level off but before turning and adjusting power, trim to 95kts. Follow this with the turn and then adjust power to maintain height and speed. At the end of the downwind leg drop the power to 1800rpm then turn. After turning, the speed with be OK for flap deployment. Drop two stages, bring the airspeed to 80kts then trim for the powered glide at that speed. Before you know it you will be at 600ft and at the right position to turn for final. Do so then glide at 70kts for final approach and for a great touch down.
The weather was good today - no need for any crosswind adjustments but I will need to start practicing in them again soon, which shouldn't be too difficult in the UK, and especially so at Leeds Bradford (EGNM), as it is situated on the brow of a hill.

After six circuits with the instructor - a mix of left and right hand circuits - I was sent out on my own to complete as many circuits as I saw fit. I would be doing solo right hand circuits due to the traffic pattern at EGNM - this doesn't leave much room for error in this built up and hilly part of the zone. Left hand is much easier from R32 as you have R27 as a fall back to land on if there are issues on the downwind.

By now the airport was waking up and the big commercial jets from KLM and BMI were interrupting my schedule. On one touch and go I noted a KLM jet a the hold point near threshold of R14, waiting for me to clear. On the downwind leg I had to make a right hand orbit to allow the KLM jet to line up and take off. It was quite enjoyable to just hang there in the air watching all this happening. Also quite humbling to watch the take off speed and climb rate of these aircraft - puts the PA28 capability into perspective.

On one of the circuits I noted the aircraft approaching the stall on final approach. I don't know if this was for real, or my imagination, or just turbulence. I checked the speed at 70kts which was correct, but it did give me a brief cause for concern. Due to this, and the fact that I was beginning to get mentally tired I made one more circuit before calling it a day and returned to the GA apron, shut down and returned to the flying school for a debrief.

I won't be flying again for 3 weeks due to holidays, and then another 3 weeks due to other commitments so I'll target the last week in July for further consolidation and hope to include some flap-less and flapped landings at a smaller airfield such as Sandtoft weather permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment