Sunday 9 October 2005

Orbiting And Gliding At Doncaster

Flying Hours Today 1:15, Total 45:25

P1 Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 7:30

Today I spent 1hr 20m going through some of my 'fears'. Those parts of the skills test that you don't practice everyday: flap-less and glide approaches (went well), steep level turns (went well) and PFL (went very well). I was with a new instructor today. My eigth.

Some people like the continuity of a single instructor and I must confess that I did up to a point but now I'm finding that I'm learning a lot more from each instructor.

They all have useful hints and tips to pass on and in some cases they allow me to change a procedure that I wasn't comfortable with but it is what I was taught.

During the power checks I noted that when idling the engine wouldn't go much lower than 1000rpm. Nothing to worry about but I'm always keen to understand why things happen and noticing this small deviation did come back to me at a later stage in the day...

We left Sheffield (EGSY) and headed to Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield (EGCN - formerly RAF Finningley) for circuits. It was a quiet day and Doncaster ATC are quite welcoming for instructed circuits but not solo students.

We headed 060 from Sheffield and made our first landing on R20 from right base. A good touch and go to get things started, then we followed this with flap-less and fully flapped approach and landings. Something I've vastly improved on since last time I did these, this must be down to my greatly improved experience of handling the aircraft.

At one point I was put into an orbit pattern waiting for a Boeing 737 to take off. And we waited, and waited. There were birds on the runway that needed to be cleared.

Typically by the time the ground team were on the scene the birds had moved on. This wasn't more wasted time, it was a good opportunity to practice precision flying using rate 1 turns and maintaining my position over the ground with the blowing wind.

After the departing jet I was given clearance to land while still on base, I then repeated that I was on finals etc. which may not have been necessary but I'd prefer to talk too much than not enough if the airwaves are quiet.
Landing at airports such at Doncaster are great for honing skills as you can focus on the technique without worrying about the length of the runway. Following a glide approach I had to stop on the runway and await the wash of the departing jet to dissipate, then I could still use the remainder of the runway to take off.
While still in the Doncaster zone I practiced a couple of glide approaches, losing power on the base leg. Trimming to 70kts, aiming for a landing point 2/3rd of the way down the runway, then 1/3rd etc as we got nearer.

This will help to ensure that the glide to the target is possible. If you aim too near then you could fall short - quite literally, so aim further away and then lose the height once you are nearing the target.

Leaving Doncaster we headed back towards Sheffield and found some space for practice exercises. The last time I did a PFL was many months ago and I couldn't get to grips with the glide attitude, and the calls and checks, and the aiming for a field, and the altitude and position etc.

This time it all came together really well. A rule of thumb from the gliding world, use the 45 degree rule. If the target is beyond the wing then it is out of reach, similarly if it is below you it is too near. Select a target that is about 45 degrees of your viewing angle downwards.

Then it is time for engine off, or at least power off, 70kts glide, keep the field in sight, glide and descend gently, simulated calls, 7700 on the transponder and checks made, down to 500ft then power away.

I was really pleased to get this out of the way and it gave me great confidence in knowing how to get the aircraft into a glide attitude and to control it. Coincidentally when we climbed away we noticed how close we were to Netherthorpe, in a real emergency we could have aimed for the landing field there.

Steep level turns were also something I hadn't done for a while and remember them being all over the place with attitude and altitude not quite in synch. This time they were much much better which I can only put down to being much more experienced and familiar with the controls and actions.
Inbound to Sheffield I made some lazy S turns to lose some height and speed, just for good practice. As we crossed the threshold I noticed that the speed wasn't decreasing as expected and the flare and round out took longer than normal. After touch down the engine sounded as though it was running too fast, a check showed that it was at 1000rpm, so that check at the start of the day had come to something - if the idle is a bit high then expect a slightly faster landing.

A couple more hours of solo time to build then I reckon I'll be ready to apply for the general flying test. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment