Sunday 9 May 2004

Weather Cancellation

Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 1:00


As this is a warts-and-all diary of my flight training experience I decided to include all the cancellations I had during my quest to become a qualified PPL pilot. If you are learning in the UK, regardless of time of year, you will have flying lessons cancelled, it is just a fact of life.


Don't get disheartened, but be persistent and determined. The further you get in your flight training the less cancellations you will get as you will be more capable of flying in less than ideal circumstances.


It was 0830hrs on Sunday morning. I called the flight school to check on the status of today's planned lesson. Unfortunately it has been cancelled along with all other flying lessons booked today. Cancellations due to aviation weather conditions: a gray, damp, miserable day ahead for the most of the UK so no possibility whatsoever of getting airborne.


My next flying lesson is scheduled for 0900 on Sunday morning 23rd May - there are no free weekend slots before that time. At least that will give me more time to read up on activities - and it will spread the cost of my flight training programme.


Since the last lesson I've been reviewing Trevor Thom's book #1 - Flying Training. I've had this book for a number of years - it was bought on recommendation of a work colleague who is now a qualified commercial pilot. I've always had available as a reminder of my need to get that first flying lesson booked.


Having done the flying for real it makes the book so much easier to understand and appreciate. I've re-read all the exercises that we did last week - i.e. up to the end of chapter 4 - along with chapters 5 and 6. The next two weeks will give me the opportunity to re-read and consolidate the work to date and also to push on further into the more advanced chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment