Sunday 26 September 2004

Exam Briefing and a New iCOM

Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 5:20

It was a pretty standard Sunday morning in September: windy, low cloud, with a dark front approaching. I set off to the flying school and got to within 5 minutes of the airport when I received a call to confirm that the double lesson I had booked was not to go ahead. Beaten by the weather once more.

As I was so close to the flying school I decided to call in, to get a warm cup of coffee and to ask about the exams I would have to soon start taking. The seven I need to take are:

  • Aircraft General
  • Radio Telephony
  • Air Law
  • Air Navigation
  • Human Performance
  • Meteorology
  • Flight Performance & Planning
At the time of writing the fee for each of the exam papers is £12 per sitting. My plan now is to prep for those I can sit immediately and take them when a lesson may be cancelled in future.

You can find out a whole lot more about the details and how I fared by visiting my ground school and examinations posts.

At the flying school I took the time to browse the internet and found some useful TAF / METAR sites that provide background as to why my lesson was cancelled again ;-)

I also picked up the phone number for LBA ATIS: +44 (0) 113 250 96 96 x 2489, which will be useful for getting an early appreciation of the conditions in future.

On returning home I dropped into the AirSupply shop near to the airport to pick up the PPL Confuser to aid in my exam prep. I also decided to buy an ICOM IC-R5 receiver to start listening into R/T in order to get a better understanding of protocol and the language used to help me in the R/T exam.

At the time, AirSupply ran an excellent buy back scheme on scanners - if you keep the box & packaging etc. you get a 50% rebate back if you want to put the equity against something else they sell (e.g. headphones). I don't know if that still stands, but it is worth a call to find out.

In the past week I've also been looking into getting my medical appointment booked so that when I do finally get to go solo I won't be stumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment