Tuesday 2 November 2004

The CAA Class 2 Medical


Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 9:15

Now that circuit flying is in progress, this will lead on to landings, which will lead onto my first solo. It is therefore time to undergo my medical examination to ensure I get all the paperwork in order to enable me to go solo.

I'd booked my medical examination appointment a number of weeks before and this morning found myself at Sheffield City Airport for the medical. I had prepared to spend around 1 hour on the full medical which, I was hoping, would provide me with a licence to enable me to legally fly solo in the UK.

I must say I was quite apprehensive, I'm generally in good health but this is the kind of examination which you can't revise for, and failure is generally black or white - if you don't meet the criteria then it will be difficult, but not impossible, to fix things to enable you to pass in future.

On to the medical, and first things first - you will need to provide photo ID to prove you are who you say you are. A photo driving licence is sufficient. As it was my first registration with the CAA I was granted my UK CAA reference number. This is required when sitting ground examinations but I haven't been able to provide one until now. At least my exams will now be completed in the correct manner.

The medical is thorough - as is to be expected. There is the usual medical questionnaire covering you and your immediate family medical history. Then height and weight checks, body flexibility - I can't remember the last time I had to touch my toes! Followed by peak flow breathing tests, eyesight, colour vision, hearing, balance, reflexes, the usual prodding, stethoscopic breathing and heart checks. Then wiring up to the ECG for heart monitoring, a haemoglobin blood test, and finishing with a urine test.

The eyesight check was interesting. The very first question in the health questionnaire is concerning eye surgery. In the summer of 2002 I had LASIK surgery on one eye to correct my vision and this has provided me with much better than average vision. However what is important to the CAA medical examiner is my prescription before I had the surgery.
As I no longer wear contact lenses or glasses I didn't think to bring my current or previous prescriptions. So a quick call was made to the optician where I had the LASIK surgery and within a few minutes my prescription arrived via fax. It was a close run thing.

I had the LASIK treatment on only one eye as it was the only one worth correcting at -2.50 dioptres. However my other eye is +0.25 dioptres. What is important is the difference between the two before the operation. The allowable limit is 3.0 dioptres. I was in the clear at 2.75 dioptres difference. If you are considering learning to fly, and have had corrective LASIK surgery, then I would check with your optician and with the CAA on the acceptable limits before spending too much money on flying lessons and equipment.

For the sum of £135 I had undergone an extensive medical examination that fortunately proved me to be in sound health and was issued with the necessary paper work: "United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority - Joint Aviation Authorities - Medical Certificate JAA Class 2 - Pertaining to a Flight Crew Licence", and it is valid for two years at which time I have to resubmit myself and get examined once again! Roll on the solo flight.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    Blade free Lasik Laser

    ReplyDelete