Sunday 31 October 2004

Fog


Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 9:15

Today I was expecting to do my first landing. Unfortunately the weather wasn't at all suitable, thick autumnal fog was obscuring not only Leeds Bradford airport but the majority of the Vale of York where I was planning to continue my circuits.

At least this weather phenomenon gave me a real world example of the conditions under which fog forms - I've been re-reading the meteorology section of Trevor Thom's book 2 and getting much more focussed on the weather examination.

I am much more confident now and would expect to sit this exam next Sunday if the flying is back on then. Weather is a complex subject but if you take the time to break down the concepts and get a real understanding of what is happening, then it all comes together to make perfect sense.

You'll also find that those high school physics lessons actually start to become useful when recalling latent heat and the relationships between temperature and pressure!

No comments:

Post a Comment