Sunday 24 April 2005

A Hazy Mixture

Flying Hours Today 1:30, Total 27:00

P1 Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 0:15


I was given the remit to plan my latest navigation trip so I took the opportunity to fly further afield than previously with a flight out to Beverley via York, returning via Sandtoft (EGCF) and Dewsbury.


The route was plotted and the wind checked on Sunday morning: 15kts from 105. I made the fundamental error of calculating the wind as if it was blowing towards 105 rather than from 105. I saw the error by checking the ground speed, it would appear that we would be flying slower with a tailwind, something was wrong there and it took a few more checks before I realised that the wind vector needed to be reversed.


As we may be flying beyond Leeds' (EGNM) control I made a note of Humberside's (EGNJ) frequency in case we needed to switch en-route. My parents live near Beverley so I called them up to give an estimated time of arrival so they would be able to follow my progress from the ground.


My R/T is still progressing nicely. I had booked us out and we were soon lining up on the runway and making a note of T's & P's, the time, and setting the squawk.


We were given departure instructions via Eccup and not above 2000ft - the usual instructions. Then when the take off clearance came I was instructed to turn left and to leave the zone via the south of Eccup. A change to my usual procedure - the ATC keeping me on my toes.


A regular take off followed by a left hand turn, a great view of the airfield then headed towards Eccup. At Eccup I set our heading towards Elvington airfield just to the south east of York.
The Mixture Control

"Air density decreases with increase in height. This results in a lower weight of air being mixed with the same weight of fuel in the carburettor as an aeroplane climbs. Thus, the fuel/air mixture becomes 'richer' as height is gained and an increasing amount of fuel will remain unburned because of the reduced air available for the combustion process.

Corrective action to avoid the fuel wastage is usually taken on a high-level cruise (usually above 5,000ft and when the power is less than 75% maximum continuous power). This action is called leaning the mixture and is accomplished by moving the mixture control partially out, which reduces the weight of fuel mixing witht he air being taken into the carburettor."


From Trevor Thom's The Air Pilot's Manual 1
The blue skies on the ground had turned to white haze at 3000ft so we climbed to 4000ft. Things were not much better - a strip of dark pollution at this level - so we climbed further to 5000ft, leaning the mixture as we went.


The navigation was quite tricky. There was no point on the horizon to fix to due to the haze, we could only track by what we could see immediately below us so the map cross referencing was quite intense. I'd not been towards Elvington previously so I didn't know any features to look out for.


Almost on time we came over the airfield and confirmed the location by a small forest that was nearby. We then turned towards our next target just to the north east of Beverley.


On this leg we were blow slightly to the right of our course, this was confirmed by visual references on the ground so I made slight adjustments. The change in track probably due to flying at the higher altitude than planned and so the wind vector was slightly different. Leeds Approach advised us to hand over to Humberside Radar which I did with ease - apart from calling them Humberside Radio (oops). Switching to squawk 7000 and then to our new squawk allocated by Humberside.


En route we came across a huge complex below us which wasn't featured on the map. It turned out to be RAF Leconfield - the Defence School of Transport and also Europe's largest driver training establishment.
RAF Search and Rescue (SAR) helicopters are located here for North Sea emergency coverage so on the chart there is simply a circled H. I was looking for a helipad!


Beyond RAF Leconfield I made out the town of Tickton - our target and made a left hand orbit to spot Linley Hill Airfield (EGNY).
Passing to the south of Beverley I made another orbit to take in the view of the city, expecting my parents to we monitoring my excellent progress. It turns out that we were too high so they didn't get to seem me.


Flying towards Sandtoft we took in the Humber Bridge and crossed the Humber Estuary to intercept the River Trent. Our next target was Eastoft which was clearly identified by the surrounding roads.


We set course to fly back to Dewsbury and home, switching from Humberside Radar to Leeds Approach and resetting the squawk to the one we had been allocated previously.


We were given instructions to enter the zone at Dewsbury, not above 2000ft. I was planning on descending as late as possible in order to maintain visibility above the haze. Just as I was making my descending calculations we were called by Leeds and asked when we were to descend to avoid their airspace.


At first I was surprised that they were asking so early as we had plenty of time, then my instructor pointed out that we were about to fly into the Leeds Class D airspace above 3000ft. I informed Leeds I was descending immediately and made for 3000ft as soon as possible - with no complaints so I reckon we cleared the controlled space just in time.


And then on to Dewsbury. It was tricky following the chart as we were on airspace and corridor boundaries as well as roads and rivers and numerous conurbations. It was quite difficult to make out our position and the haze was so bad that even the Emley Moor tower wasn't visible - a very useful marker for pilots when it can be seen.
Scanning the ground ahead of us I noticed a water tower that had been pointed out to me on my previous Dewsbury approach, I then tracked the railway, river and canal that leads to Dewsbury and soon I was back on track and at 2000ft to enter the zone.


Heading directly north towards the airfield, I was given instructions to join right base for R09, which is obvious when thinking about it as we were heading 360 but I had to think about it when flying. We approached the airfield with Bradford to the left of me, Leeds to the right.


I was always on the lookout for a emergency landing field but there didn't seem to be too many around. The airfield was in sight and we were handed over to Leeds Tower. I made the pre-landing checks and estimated the whole approach and landing without input from the instructor - apart for him to point out Yeadon Tarn to use as a reference point for the end of the runway.


All was fine until I touched down. For the first time I had landed with the wings not quite level and so I was pulled sharply left on the runway. I wouldn't have liked that at a narrow strip such as Sandtoft! But because I had so much space I Leeds it was another good learning experience.


We cleared the runway, taxied around the big metal, back across R14 and to the General Aviation apron.


Another excellent lesson complete - my navigation is really strong and going forwards we need to plan a longer trip to Durham Tees Valley (EGNV)Newcastle (EGNT) or perhaps Carlisle (EGNC) to prepare me for my cross country solo.


But first more solo consolidation is needed and some more general handling to sharpen my flying skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment