Sunday 3 April 2005

Reading The METAR


Flying Hours Today 0:50, Total 21:50

P1 Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 0:15

It was 35 days since my first solo flight, indeed 35 days since I had done any flying at all. The Great British Weather had conspired against me time after time. I was starting to feel rusty and wondering if I would every be able to reach the heady heights of flying solo again.

At home, early on Sunday morning, I checked the METAR and TAF for Leeds Bradford (EGNM) airport:

EGNM 030550Z 06002KT 5000 HZ SKC 03/01 Q1015

SKC? I had to look that one up, I'd never seen it before on a report at Leeds Bradford. It turned out to be what I expected: "Sky Clear". Excellent! The flying was back on so I headed for the flight school.

Upon arrival I met my new flying instructor - we had been introduced the previous week but the weather had kept us grounded. The instructor who had got me to my first solo flight had moved on to getting the job he wanted with a regional airline based out of Leeds and I was very grateful that he had got me to the solo flying point in my training.

Bad news: the haze had not cleared around the airfield and so any attempt to do some VFR navigation would be a struggle, although it would be legal. So we decided to do circuits, at Leeds.
This was a surprise, I didn't think we would be able to use such a busy airport for practicing so I jumped at the chance to get flying again and also to get more accustomed to the surroundings at Leeds. So far I'd only been flying direct approaches at the end of each lesson so the chance to fly around the airfield for an hour was not to be missed.

Out to Delta Delta (G-BODD) to do the A-Check, a top up of oil was all that was required and we were on our way.

I'm still struggling with the ATC radio, it always seems so obvious as to what to say but I don't want to make any assumptions or misinterpret any commands so at times the instructor did the talking.

I set the altimeter to QFE by simply subtracting 23mb from the QNH. As we know the airfield elevation and can translate that height into millibars of pressure - 23mb in this case and adjust the altimeter accordingly.

We lined up on R14 then away we went for a right hand circuit. At 500ft to 1000ft feet agl the haze was quite pronounced and flying a right hand circuit meant that I had to really stretch to look out for the runway behind and to the right of me. I was therefore using the DI to make sure my alignment was correct - but this didn't always work as planned as I still found myself drifting.

I called downwind then did the pre-landing checks. Or at least tried to. I knew the checks to do but kept blanking, then found I was gaining altitude etc. It wasn't the best bit of flying I've done. I was also using a pair of Peltor headphones from the flying school that were extremely comfortable but were cutting out or attenuating the ATC at times.

Before long we turned for base leg and I could sense that I was starting to suffer from information overload. Flying the final approach I was consistently to the left of the centre line. As EGNM has a full width runway it is also very forgiving.
I went through the procedures for landing, flaps, airspeed etc. etc. as I had been drilled to, but my new instructor took a different tack to a proscribed route - he wanted me to 'fly' the aircraft and make the decisions as I saw fit which was interesting as it made me think more about landing the aircraft rather than following a routine.

Unfortunately on this first approach I was taking too long to get us down, we were burning up runway at quite a rate so I instigated a go around. As we climbed away we were instructed to do a left hand circuit. The left hand circuit was much easier to fly as I could see the airfield at all times - hence the reason for left hand circuits as standard.

My height on the downwind leg was a bit high and by the time I had turned for base and then final approach we were quite far out from the runway, so it was time to push the throttle and get us somewhat nearer.

A good approach this time, still a bit left of the centre line, aiming for the numbers then touching down on the runway for a good landing. I'd used up too much runway, I need to be more focussed. My instructor encouraged me to think of the strip as being bounded by high walls and the length to be much shorter.

Again the luxury of a wide long runway was meaning that my landings were somewhat slack, but it gave me great confidence to be able to focus on landing rather than trying to hit the tiny strip that is Sandtoft.

The touch-and-go was followed by a right hand circuit. I was still getting back into the circuit routine of checks, flaps, attitude etc. etc. but this landing was pretty good, the stall warner just sounding as we touched down and then back around for a left hand circuit.


During this circuit a 737 was lining up for take off, there had been a lot of radio chatter with ATC during the downwind leg so I had to make a late downwind call when abeam of the runway threshold.

As I looked over I saw the 737 lining up for take off. Would the runway be clear by the time we were on finals? I certainly hoped so.

We informed ATC that we had turned base and saw the 737 taking off. Soon we were on final approach and cleared to land but also instructed to land, stop and then wait due to wake turbulence. I confirmed with the instructor what I had heard and responded to ATC.

Another decent landing, albeit a little hard, I was at least more on the centre line. Throttle back, brakes on and to a stop. This was bizarre, I was sat in my small PA28 in the middle of the primary runway at a major international airport. Just waiting. Sitting there taking in the view.

After a couple of minutes ATC gave take off clearance and away we went to fly a right hand circuit. By this time I was getting the hang of things but was getting the information overload - I didn't feel that I was progressing much further today after having made a few good landings, and the haze wasn't improving so we decided to make the next landing a full stop landing.
On the base leg the instructor challenged me to make this a glide approach. He asked me to throttle back at the point where I would be able to make it to the airfield. This was interesting as I didn't really have a clue!

So he made the decision for me, we were on the base leg, about 800ft agl. He took the throttle all the way back and suggested I fly us home as a glider. This was fun. I left the flaps until they were really needed then it was a case of touching down centrally, gently and on target. I felt good that I'd managed to get back in to the swing of things and that I could still land the aircraft.

Taxy back to MultiFlight West, via Lima and then the usual closedown. I still struggle with ATC but I must be improving as I now at least anticipate what should be said and am generally correct. I really want to focus on taking the lead on this going forwards and relying less on my instructor - something I will have to do before I can even contemplate a solo cross country flight.

Back to the flight school, and I've been given some homework: to plan a route to the far side of York, returning to Leeds via Ripon. When we get to execute this we will simply put in the wind vectors at that time and away we go.

I also visited the AirSupply aviation suppliers on the way home and bought a pair of the Peltors similar to the ones that I'd been using for the lesson. I'd found them to be extremely comfortable and clear, so I traded in the air-band scanner I'd bought last year as it wasn't getting any practical use. Here's to next week's flying - weather permitting of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment