Saturday 12 November 2005

Final Training Flight

Flying Hours Today 2:35, Total 51:00

P1 Flying Hours Today 1:40, Total 10:15

Today I had planned a simple route that would help to burn up some of the required time to get my solo 10hrs in the bag. A familiar route over Beverley, up the east coast of Yorkshire to Scarborough. West to Malton passing over the village where my grandmother lived and then back south to Gamston.

I planned my route based on weather, distance and timing and identified key navigation waypoints and ensuring I would have enough fuel on board - 3 hours at tabs, 5 hours at full.

I wasn't expecting any issues today as it was blue sky CAVOK weather and a decent breeze from the west. On my chart I plotted nav routes that would follow the 030 radial out of Gamston (EGNE), then the 350 radial from OTR, Ottringham near Hull.

This would take me to Scarborough where I would turn west and track the A64 road to Malton then route back south to Gamston.

I updated the paper behind the clear wipe surface of my kneeboard, adding the frequencies for Sheffield (EGSY), Gamston (EGNE), Doncaster (EGCN), Humberside (EGNJ) and Leeds (EGNM). Also a reminder to Time, Twist, Turn and Talk, and a small quadrant for flight altitudes and headings.

Out to the aircraft to put an additional quart of oil in the sump to keep the levels up. I'd forgotten what flying in autumn and winter was like. Nice clear skies but very cold on the fingers when turning clips and caps.

Power up and radio checks were uneventful. We were given instructions to taxi via Bravo for R10 right at Sheffield. This was my first reality check. In all my time at Sheffield so far I have waited for the information regarding R28 and this time we would be going 'the wrong way around' so I had to think about things for a while.

At Bravo we started the power checks and for the first time ever the magneto checks showed very rough running when only the left magneto was selected. And I mean very rough running. If I'd been on my own I would have turned back to get an engineer to check things over.
In this case the instructor took control and played with the throttle and mixture for a few seconds to burn away the carbon that had accumulated on the magneto. Following this the mag check was fine, as expected.

We backtracked R10 with a DA40 following behind to hold in the loop. Once the runway was clear I followed the 'Lights / Camera / Action' activity by turning on the landing light, setting the transponder to 7000 in mode C, checking the Ts & Ps and noting the time.

As we began rolling I heard on the radio a helicopter being warned of our intentions by the tower. As we picked up power and speed the instructor took control and we aborted the take off as the helicopter came visible overhead. Better safe than sorry and deferred to the landing aircraft.

We short backtracked, turned, and soon were on our way to Gamston. After take off it was time for the appropriate checks using the FEAL acronym: Flaps (up), Engine (Ts & Ps correct), Altimeter (sub scale set), and Landing Light off.

I still have difficulties seeing airfields from the air and Gamston was almost upon us as we joined left base for R21. There were two aircraft on the runway ready for take off so I had to fly slowly to wait until they had departed.

I made a good landing then dropped the instructor and set off to Bravo to hold for R21. I completed the power checks once more, the magnetos worked fine this time.

There were three aircraft in the circuit, one came in then two others very close together on a straight in approach with one landing and the other going around. I took this as my opportunity to make a break for it and soon I was airborne, climbing and making a left turn to lock onto the 030 radial to track it north eastwards.
I left the Gamston zone and switched to Doncaster and told to standby. There wasn't too much traffic around but the controller was busy with a Boeing 737 on the ground.

I continued my track and eventually passed my message to Doncaster and was given my squawk. However by now I was crossing the Humber with the bridge to my right and was quickly transferred over to Humberside where I was given another squawk.

It was at this point that I realised I hadn't put the transponder back into Alt mode and hadn't been transponding to Doncaster at all. The ATC must have been so busy that he didn't have time to get me to ident.

The now familiar route of Humber, Brough, Beverley was passing below. I overflew Linley Hill and made out the distinctive landmarks around it for future reference.

Onwards now to Carnaby, checking that parachuting wasn't active in the area. I estimated my time of arrival to be at 1110 and tracked both visually and using the VORs of Gamston (030) and Ottringham (350). On schedule I was overhead Carnaby then turned to track the Ottringham 350 radial to Scarborough.

There was a lot of other traffic around today, with many student solo exercises being undertaken. The Humberside controller was very professional in keeping us all up to date and regularly making position check requests.

As I approached Scarborough I received the usual check on my intentions - basically be aware of entering the restricted area around Fylingdales moor. I was already planning ahead for this and made my turn to track the A64 and Scarborough to York railway.

Until this point I had been flying at around 4500ft to 5000ft. At Scarborough a front of clouds was very slowly drifting southwards so I descended to 2000ft to fly beneath this bank and as far as Sherburn to view the small village where my grandmother used to live.

A check on the watch showed that I had now flown far enough to fly back with enough solo time in the bank. From Sherburn I headed due south to Driffield. With the sun in my eyes it wasn't easy to see too far ahead so ground tracking skills and listening closely to the radio were the order of the day.
I've been to Driffield many times on the ground in the past but would never have been aware of the airfield there. Obviously disused now, but with 4 large hangars in quite good condition there is obviously still some purpose for the estate to be there.

Soon we were at Leconsfield heading due south to intercept the 210 radial that will take me back to Gamston.
The familiar route back to Gamston was relaxing. Using the 210 track is also a great help as it lines me up directly with the active runway on arrival.

The crosswind was making the VOR tracking exercise more demanding but much more fun. When the runway came into sight I then had to take over visually and leave the VOR behind.

The circuit wasn't busy and I managed to make a straight in approach and landing. Without stopping the engine I picked up my instructor and we were soon heading back to Sheffield.

The route to Sheffield is to follow the 330 track to 13nm on the DME. As we approached this distance I requested a switch from Doncaster to Sheffield and made a call that we were at the VRP in bound.

As the weather had not changed dramatically we assumed R10 right would be active. I made the calls but no response. Made calls again. Weak response. Mmm... radio problem. What to do? Obvious was to switch to the second radio. We soon got Sheffield back on the COM radio and found that the active was R28 so made for a straight in approach - keeping a close eye on the hovering helicopter overhead.

Post landing checks were carried out as we left the active runway: flaps, carb heat, trimmer, landing light. Doing these checks is key to passing the skills test so I'm really clear about completing them on every flight at the moment, which isn't a bad thing.

During the week I popped into Leeds Flying School to pick up certification of my exam passes. These are written on an official application form that will be submitted to the CAA. Having this form really made the skills test real. If all goes to plan I could be a licenced PPL pilot within days!

No comments:

Post a Comment