Monday 30 August 2004

Bad Planning

Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 4:05

The last Monday in August is a public holiday in the UK, signalling the end of summer and turning our attentions to autumn, winter, the cold and Christmas.


Following booking confirmations from the Flying School Ops Manager and with my instructor I was looking forward for my first double lesson - time to really get my teeth into a sustained period in the air and to finish off climbing and descending with flaps before moving onto turns.


The weather was good, although a little blustery as I arrived at the school. Only to be met a few minutes later by one of the guys who runs the office. There had been a monumental communications failure and he asked me to step inside to explain more...

It turns out that the school was planned to be closed on this public holiday - although my first lesson was on a public holiday in May so I don't see how this is different. I was the only booking in the diary - everyone else must have got the message that the place was to be closed. As the weather was so good the owners of the aircraft had decided to take them up for their own leisure thinking that there were no bookings today.


So another wasted return trip of 2 hours. To their credit the school gave me £10 from petty cash to cover fuel - but that isn't the point. I lost a potential 3 hours of flying time over the weekend. I can accept one hour from the weather but to lose 2 hours through bad planning is galling.


I'll miss my flying next weekend as I'm on holiday in Mallorca, however I'll be able to sun myself by the pool reading my latest book purchase: Stick and Rudder - An Explanation of the Art of Flying by Wolfgang Langewiesche. Here's hoping that the weather improves upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment