Sunday 29 August 2004

Crosswind Cancellation

Flying Hours Today 0:00, Total 4:05

This morning the sky was low and blustery, but between the gaps there was blue sky and high cloud. I set off for the 0900hrs lesson, calling in twice but no answer.

I was undecided as to whether the lesson would be cancelled because of the obviously windy conditions. As I arrived at LBA I noticed the windsock was high (10-15kts?) and the wind was blowing Westerly. I presumed that we wouldn't be flying on the main 14-32 runway at Leeds due to crosswinds and would be using 09-27 instead.


I arrived at the flying school and it was already open with the kettle on! Flying was also on but the instructor was a bit concerned about some of the lower cloud - although we could fly through that on his rating and get to clear air further up.


We decided we were going to go for it and so had the briefing on climbing and descending part II - i.e. with flaps. All set and ready to go, but in the mean time the wind had picked up.


There was concern that the crosswinds would be two near to the limit for comfort - we couldn't use 09-27 as it was out of service. If the wind picked up when we were away doing the exercise we would have to divert to Sherburn additionally the lesson would be difficult in blustery conditions.


So once more I fell foul of the weather and the lesson was postponed - but not for too long as I have a double lesson booked for tomorrow - a public holiday in England and the weather is supposed to be excellent.


I had to take heart though that Leeds Bradford airport does have quite a reputation for crosswinds as it is the highest commercial airport in the UK. Sometimes even Concorde pilots decide that it is just too difficult.



No comments:

Post a Comment